PLEASE NOTE: This blog is a bigotry free zone open to all persons, regardless of age, race, religion, color, national origin, sex, political affiliations, marital status, physical or mental disability, age, or sexual orientation. Further, this blog is open to the broad variety of opinions out there and will not delete any comments based upon point of view. However, comments will be deleted if they are worded in an abusive manner and show disrespect for the intellectual process.

Sunday, October 3, 2010

OH, DANG, THE TIME CRUNCH

See what a lady I am! I used the word dang, when I could have used a term far more rowdy. Well, trust, me folks, I wanted to, but I took you all into consideration and restrained myself.

I haven't posted now for two days because I have been so busy! On last Thursday morning I was working on one large document due this upcoming Tuesday. Then I went to the post office and found that I had received a large envelope with a letter inside indicating that I needed to get an another important document in by the following day around Friday at noon.

I called the attorney and I was like, "Are you kidding?" Needless to say, he was not sympathetic. Then he got really peremptory with me and I was like, excuse me, you can act that way all you want, but I haven't done anything wrong here--you could have called me earlier in the week and I would have come to your office and picked it up.
Then I could have started working on this much sooner.
I was not going to tolerate being spoken to rudely. Tell me, guys, have you had this problem where lawyers are downright rude for no reason, or simply because they like to bully and dominate in conversations? I'm like, GIVE ME A BREAK. Do it to the next idiot who calls and puts up with it, but don't try it with me. Of course, I would have cried had someone spoken to me like that when my divorce started, but now I'm much tougher.

I was able to get this document in by Friday at the end of the day simply because I focused like hell (yeah, ok, I use these words) and I just had a strong sense of what needed to be said. However, I still have a document due this Tuesday and then I have a brief which is simply late and I'm going day by day hoping the clerk doesn't throw the suit out for abandonment.

Inbetween all this I fit in all the parenting I need to do--for example, I'm sitting right here at my son's soccer game typing this. Plus, I have a part time job to pay up on the rest of my bills. Still, when people ask me what I've been doing in terms of work since my divorce started, I tell them that I work on my divorce full time!

If I am to do what I have to do to defend myself in terms of my reputation, in terms of custody, in terms of the many lawyers standing there with their hands held out wanting me to pay their fees for the incompetent work they say they did, then I have to pretty much work six to eight hours a day doing it. My house is filled with folders, and filing cabinets, and textbooks on the law and court procedures.

Sometimes I daydream about a future point where I'll be able to get a real job, but it won't be any time soon! And that is how it sometimes goes with divorce cases. So much happens that is ridiculous that one problem leads to another problem, leads to another problem, and the case spreads out into all the areas of your life and so you end up in an endless maze of legal problems.

The good news is I have custody of my children, I have some financial means, and I have a house to live in, all the result of my hard work. On the other hand, it isn't much of a life. I could have chosen to be homeless and without my children. So, things could be worse. Still, what is going on with our legal system if it puts an average person like me in this kind of position? It's nuts!

5 comments:

  1. Dang, Lady, you've got a lot going on! Listen, I linked to your blog in this post:http://www.divorcesaloon.com/2010/10/02/how-to-re-open-a-divorce-case-set-aside-divorce-judgment-due-to-fraud-and-perjury-after-the-statue-of-limitations-has-run/

    Good luck with all these tasks! Yea, I agree, some lawyers can definitely talk down to people. They even talk down to other lawyers they think is inferior to them. It's crazy. But you just have to stand up for yourself like you are doing.

    Blog luv,
    Jeannie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they should have a section in the lawyer's professional ethics section discussing courteous behavior!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They do, actually. In New York anyway, there are guidelines for how lawyers should act toward each other (doesn't stop the rudeness) and of course, there are many guidelines for how lawyers should treat their clients, and advocate for the clients, and defer to the courts. there are tons of guidelines, but rude people are going to be rude whether they are lawyers or not. And they sure as heck are gonna curse. Don't I? (The dang thing is just a little to clinical for me, girl, sorry!)

    I am going to work on a piece about grievance. I have it in draft will get to it whenever, but it was inspired by the piece you wrote about grieving your lawyer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It would be interesting to see whether grievance committees are successful in rooting out the bad lawyers. I'm sure there are numbers out there somewhere. I know that complaints against medical doctors often don't go anywhere or end up with a practitioner just getting a slap on the wrist. Then by the damn regulation catches up with them, they are often already dead and the institution they practiced with takes the fall in terms of multimillion dollar lawsuits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Personally, I don't think it is fair to prevent a lawyer from leaving a case if a client can't pay. I don't think there is any profession that would say it is ok to demand a lawyer keep on representing a client even though that client owes thousands of dollars. That practically invites them to go before a judge and lie like hell.

    ReplyDelete